6 x 100 ml ramekins / espresso cups
- 100 g dark chocolate, 70% with orange rind, broken into small pieces
- 125 ml extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp Cointreau (orange liqueur)
- 4 large free-range eggs, at room temperature, separated
- 1⁄4 tsp sea salt flakes, plus a pinch
- 30 g caster sugar
1. Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a simmering pot of water, make sure the water doesn’t touch the bottom of the bowl. Remove chocolate from the heat before it is completely melted, then stir it gently so that the last little pieces of chocolate dissolve. Leave to cool for 10 minutes. Stir in the oil and set aside.
2. Using an electric mixer, whisk the egg whites with a pinch of sea salt flakes in a grease-free bowl until you have firm peaks (careful not to overmix, otherwise your mousse will turn out grainy). Set aside.
3. Whisk the yolks, sugar and 1⁄4 teaspoon of sea salt flakes in a separate large bowl until pale, thick and about doubled in volume.
4. Gradually pour the chocolate-oil mixture into the beaten yolks and whisk briefly to mix completely. Using a big metal spoon, add a third of the beaten egg whites and fold in vigorously to lighten the mixture. Now, gently fold in the rest of the egg whites and making sure to leave as much air in the mixture as possible.
5. Gently spoon the mousse into your ramekins or cups. To get the desired texture – soft and satiny, rather than set like a more traditional mousse – you can either refrigerate for 60 minutes then eat straight away, or overnight and then take out to come to room temperature for 20 minutes before eating.
I had bought your products when I was on a family vacation back in October 2019. I love them I was so excited to find you online so I could continue purchasing them. Of course the olive oil is superb but your salts are beyond amazing
It was a lucky shot as the add for this product appeared in my Facebook timeline. I ordered the olive oil and all the different flavors of the sea salt. The olive oil is really good just dip it in some fresh bread and eat it. I'm very happy with my product and will definitely order again.
Simply amazing! Neolea must be definitely the best olive oil I've ever tasted. So smooth and fruity with notes of banana and honey at first and then it kicks back with just the right amount of fiery pepper aftertaste. With beautiful packaging design, this is just wonderful olive oil. This is how great product should taste and be presented.
There are a few little things that can bring instant gratification. A good espresso and a tasty olive oil. Both can excel in their simplicity and the olive oil of Neolea does too. It’s lovely for cold and hot applications. My wife, who is Greek, approves too. It really is that good. My next order will be the 5 liter tin.